Monday, July 21, 2008

July 21, 2008: "Americans would rather be dead than disabled: poll"

Americans would rather be dead than disabled: poll

NEW YORK (Reuters) - More than half of Americans would rather die than live with a severe disability, according to a survey.

Some of you may be shocked while the others nod their head in agreement. What the title does not show is that only fifty-two (52) percent of people chose death over disability. Now study asked whether they would rather die or be severely injured. It did not ask, is you were severely injured would you commit suicide. I feel if that was the question than the numbers would be down to maybe even one percentile.
I feel that at first many people would say they would rather have death. But then after a year they would change their mind. The article tells of a man who went through the same change. People just do not know what life is like being disabled, so they unfairly judge it. I would rather be disabled, because there is so much more to life than walking and football.

If you are always afraid of being a type of person, you will never know what it is like to be that person.

Thank you Claire Sibonney and Yahoo News

2 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

You make a good point. There is more to life than walking around and football. I think as long as I could use the computer, I'd be okay. I would want to be able to do something though. I definitely would not want to just exist in a state where I couldn't do anything.

Mharms said...

helo..how's ur thumb?